Thursday, April 9, 2009

Puxing PX-777 (VHF) 128 channels




Another Cheap Chinese import radio is probably what your saying. I said the same thing myself when I first came across these selling for around $70 USD shipped. This one though has a little better specs and a lot more features for the money than my previous reviewed FDC-460A. The big difference is that everything that they left out on the FDC is included on this radio.




This radio was ordered from the all mighty E-bay and arrived in the same amount of time as the last (8 days). The packaging was pretty much the same and the box was a high gloss finnish with a molded plastic cradle for the radio, charger and accessories. After removing the radio, the SMA male antenna fit snuggly into position at the top of the radio and was a sturdy and forgiving build that matched the radio nice. The radio itself seems to be made out of a tough plastic similar to what Motorola and Kenwood are using for the commercial gear they produce. The battery is a 1200 mah Lithium Ion chemistry pack that is not only light weight but offers a nice snug fit to the back of the set with no play. The desigh of the battery and it's terminals on the radio show that some thought was put into the design with a orange color gasket that surrounds the radio side of the terminal as to block moisture should you get it wet. The manual that is included is also of a high gloss cover with Chinese instructions followed by English, the grammar and spelling are again a downfall (seems to be trend here). The battery charger for this unit is very nice and offers a guide that the radio follows down to the contacts with the keys not being effected (the FDC's bottom row keys rubbed against the side of the charger... ouch!). I will say that the radio is very light weight! It almost feels almost like holding my cell phone! As this is the VHF version (136-175 mHz) with 5 watt output power, I decided to throw in a couple of local 2 meter repeater frequencies in the radio and give it a little test. The reports were the same as my VX-170! People could really not tell the differance! As I mentioned above, this one has many features that the FDC left out. The memory system can hold up to 128 channells. Alpha naming of the memory channels is supported as well as a fully functional DTMF keypad. A rotary VFO (encoder) between the antenna and the on/off voulme. A multi color user selectable display (option of Purple, orange or cool blue). The scan feature is very slow! I don't use it that much anyway. The radio also came with a very cheaply made earbud and ptt mic for hands free operation. I also purchased a SMA to BNC adapter so I can use the other antennas I have laying around and maybe even with my arrow sat. antenna.....With a big list of features for $70 you can't go wrong. The only thing negative I can really say about this radio is it's extrememly slow scan feature, but for $70 USD shipped I still think the radio is worth it. Try one out! These are available in VHF with a 136-175 mhZ or the UHF version 400-470 Mhz. I have another short video of the radio being used in receive mode so you can get an idea of what it looks like and sounds. **Puxing has just recently released an updated and newer model called the PX-888**




5 comments:

  1. Do you know if its possible to unlock the PX-777? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Doug, Do you mean unlock the keypad? If that is the case it's very simple, just hold the *lock key for 3-5 seconds until the unit emits a 2 tone beep and the 777 is unlocked. I hope that is what you are referring to, if not drop me another line. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if this is the same thing that Doug wanted, but i'm curious to know if it can be unlocked for wider Rx band, maybe to include the air band also (108-137) ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. they use AM for the aircraft band, so no, even if it was possible what would be the point

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi , i have one but its unlocked and i must lock it to a single freq, i have the cable (homemade) and the software, but the program cant comunicate... any one can give me a help ?

    ReplyDelete